Andrew J. Almond was the son of Mann Almond (1796-1883) of Page County, VA, and his wife, Barbara M. Lionberger (1796-1876). The Almond brothers — Mann, Edward Jr., and William R. — were among the first to buy lots in the new town of Luray in 1812. Another of Mann and Barbara Almond’s children was Alfred Dismukes Allmond [sic], who was the father of Marcus Blakey Allmond [sic], another U.Va. graduate.
Andrew attended the University of Virginia in sessions 31-32 and 34 (1854-1856 and 1857-1858); in his third year, he studied medicine. Prior to the Civil War, Dr. Almond had a medical practice in Bedford County, VA. When the Civil War began, Almond enlisted in the Confederate army as a private in Company G, 2nd Cavalry Regiment, Virginia. After two years, he resigned that position, and transferred to a position as assistant surgeon in Company S, 8th Regiment, North Carolina Infantry. After the war, he resumed his practice as a physician in Liberty Township, Bedford Co., VA, but by 1880, he was earning a living as a druggist rather than a physician.
About 1862, Almond married Mary Jane Ficklen or Ficklin (1836-1907); the couple’s children were: George F. Almond and Bettie B. Almond (d. infant). In 1891, Dr. A. J. Almond died of brain fever in Bedford County, VA. His wife, Mary Jane, died in Wilkes County, GA, in 1907, and is buried in Resthaven Cemetery there.
- Ancestry.com. 1860-1880 United States Federal Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2009. (Accessed 6/27/2011).
- Ancestry.com. U.S. IRS Tax Assessment Lists, 1862-1918 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2008. (Accessed 6/27/2011).
- Boraker, R. C., “The Almond mystery finally solved.” Buracker and Boraker Family History Research Newsletters, no. 8 (Dec. 1977), p. 1-5.
- Historical Data Systems, comp. American Civil War Soldiers [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 1999.
- Historical Data Systems, comp. U.S. Civil War Soldier Records and Profiles [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2009.
- “Resthaven Cemetery Inscriptions Surnames A-I Wilkes County GA.” http://files.usgwarchives.org/ga/wilkes/cemeteries/resthav1.txt (Accessed 6/27/2011).
- “Virginia Deaths and Burials, 1853-1912.” [database online] Familysearch.org. (Accessed 6/27/2011).
- Virginia Genealogical Society. “Death Records Indexing Project.” Library of Virginia Online Catalog. http://www.lva.virginia.gov/ (Accessed 6/27/2011).