Abner H. Askew was born at Pitch Landing, NC, and was the son of John Outlaw Askew (1815-1878) and his wife, Sarah A. Harrell (1820-1880). (General Alumni Society)
In 1866, Askew graduated from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. He attended the University of Virginia in session 44 (1867-1868). He earned his M.D. at the University of Pennsylvania in 1869.
In 1872, he married Agnes (Sharp) Ward (1845-1923). The couple had no children. Dr. Askew practiced medicine in Harrellsville, NC from 1870 until his death in 1905. The Abner H. Askew House (built in 1880) is a contributing structure in the Harrellsville Historic District, which is on the National Register of Historic Places. (NRHP)
He and his wife are buried in the Askew Cemetery in Hertford County.
- Ancestry.com. 1850-1920 United States Federal Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc. (Accessed 12/19/2011).
- Koestler, Sally Moore. Sally’s Family Place. [website] (c1998-2011) http://www.sallysfamilyplace.com/Neighbors/Askew.htm (Accessed 12/19/2011).
- National Register of Historic Places (NRHP). Registration Form for Harrellsville Historic District, NC. 10/16/1995. http://www.hpo.ncdcr.gov/nr/HF0388.pdf (Accessed 12/19/2011).
- “Necrology,” in General Alumni Society. University of Pennsylvania. Alumni register, v. 9, no. 8 (May 1905), p. 381. (Accessed via books.google.com)
- Tombstones of the Askew family in the Askew Cemetery, Hertford County, NC. Findagrave.com [database online] (Accessed 12/19/2011).