French S. Bibb was the son of John H. Bibb (b. ca. 1814), a merchant of Charlottesville, Virginia, and his wife, Harriet P. Strother (b. ca. 1818). The senior Bibb was later the first cashier of the Charlottesville Savings Bank. (Lay) French S. Bibb attended the University of Virginia in session 38 (1861-1862).
Bibb joined the Confederate Army on 15 Mar. 1862 as a second lieutenant in Carrington’s Battery of the Charlottesville Light Artillery. He was wounded at the Battle of Chancellorsville on 23 May 1863, and died on 28 May 1863 in Richmond, VA. (Lehman Designs) He is buried in Maplewood Cemetery in Charlottesville.
- Ancestry.com. 1850-1860 United States Federal Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc.
- Ancestry.com. Virginia, Marriages, 1740-1850 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 1999.
- Historical Data Systems, comp.. U.S. Civil War Soldier Records and Profiles [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2009.
- Lay, K. Edward. The Architecture of Jefferson Country. Charlottesville, 2000, p. 191
- Lehman Designs, Vets2Search [online database] c2008-2012. http://vets2search.com/soldier_details.php?ID=1140 (accessed 8/5/2012).
- National Park Service. U.S. Civil War Soldiers, 1861-1865 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2007.
- Richey, Homer, ed. Memorial history of the John Bowie Strange Camp, United Confederate Veterans. Charlottesville, VA, 1920, p. 323.