Thomas A. Anthony Jr. was the son of Dr. Thomas A. Anthony (1817-1898) of Durhamville, TN, and his wife, Susan Mariah Rice (1836-1908). He attended the University of Virginia in sessions 50-51 (1873-1875). He graduated from the New York University Medical College in the class of 1876, and became a doctor like his father. (General Alumni Society)
Thomas Jr. married Sarah “Sallie” Elizabeth Pickett (b. 1858) on 19 Dec. 1877. They had 8 children, among them: Robert Earl, Ada Pauline, Chester Linereaux, Sallie M., Sidney Carnes, R. Pickett, and Andrew Jayroe Anthony. (U. S. Census) By 1900, the U.S. census records him as a farmer. In 1907, he was living in Ripley, TN. (General Alumni Society) Dr. Anthony died in 1938 of cancer of the throat.
- Ancestry.com. 1860-1940 United States Federal Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc.
- Ancestry.com. Tennessee, Delayed Birth Records, 1869-1909 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2012.
- Ancestry.com. Tennessee State Marriages, 1780-2002 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2008.
- General Alumni Society of New York University. General alumni catalogue of New York University, 1833-1907; medical alumni. New York, 1908, p. 212.
- Graves of Thomas Augustine Sr. and Sarah Rice Anthony, Saint Pauls Cemetery, Durhamville, TN, in Findagrave.com (accessed 8/23/2012).
- Morris, Billie. Lauderdale County. Charleston, SC, 2012.
- Tennessee State Library and Archives; Nashville, Tennessee; Tennessee Death Records, 1908-1959; Roll #: 2, in Ancestry.com. Tennessee, Death Records, 1908-1958 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2011.