P. Edward Anderson was born in Amelia County, VA. His parents were Stephen C. Anderson (ca. 1803-aft. 1860), a farmer, and his wife, Pamela Howlett (ca. 1814-aft. 1880).
He attended the University of Virginia in session 34 (1857-1858), where he studied medicine. He married Lucy Hyde (1835-1900) about 1860 and they had three daughters: Florence J., Constance M., and Rosalie Clare Anderson. It was reported in the U.S. Federal Census of 1860 that Dr. Anderson was practicing medicine in Cumberland County, VA.
During the first year of the Civil War, Dr. Anderson served as a trooper in Company G of the Third Virginia Cavalry. He was medically discharged in June 1862, and later in the war, served on special duty details with the medical staff.
After the war, he practiced in Buckingham County for a time, and by 1880, he was living at “Ingleside” and practicing in Amelia County, VA. After his retirement, Dr. Anderson moved to Richmond where he died in 1905, and according to his obituary printed in The Times Dispatch, “He leaves many friends who remember his charity, his hospitality, and his unfailing kindness when kindness was due.”
He and his wife are buried in Hollywood Cemetery in Richmond, VA.
- Ancestry.com. 1830-1880 United States Federal Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc.
- Anderson tombstone, Hollywood Cemetery, Richmond, VA. Findagrave.com.
- “Dr. P. Edward Anderson,” S. Bassett French Biographical Sketches. Library of Virginia, Archives. http://images.lva.virgini.gov/GetBF.pl?dir=0059/A0005&card=62
- “Obituary, Dr. P. Edward Anderson.” The Times Dispatch (Richmond, VA) 25 July 1905, p. 7.
- “Peter E. Anderson.” United States. Compiled Service Records of Confederate Soldiers Who Served in Organizations from the State of Virginia.
- “Virginia, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865,” index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/J34N-LTG: accessed 09 Jan 2013), Peter E. Anderson, 1862.
- “Virginia Deaths and Burials, 1853-1912,” index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/M9.1.1/XRM7-P55: accessed 09 Jan 2013) P. E. Anderson, 1838.
- Wilson, York Lowery, A Carolina-Virginia Genealogy. Aldershot, England, 1962.