Ezekiel P. Anderson was born in the Piedmont region of South Carolina; he was the son of Robert Anderson III (1811-1892) and his wife, Mary Barksdale Pickens (1810-1894). Later in life, he was proud of the fact that 3 of his 4 grandfathers had fought in the battle of Cowpens, SC, in the American Revolution (though one had fought on the British side). When he was 16, his family moved to Meridien, Mississippi. He was not yet out of school when the Civil War broke out, and Ezekiel joined the Confederate Army as a 2nd lieutenant of Company H, 14th Mississippi Infantry Regiment. Less than a year later, he had raised an independent cavalry unit, and as its captain, served under General Nathan Bedford Forrest for the rest of the war.
After the war, he attended the University of Virginia in session 43 (1866-1867), and graduated in the Law Department. Within a few years, he had set up his law practice in Waxahachie, Texas, and for fifty years was one of the foremost lawyers in north Texas.
In 1873, he married Margaret Elizabeth “Lizzie” Watson (1856-1941). Their children were Mary Elizabeth, Edmund Pickens, Robert Frederick (d. young), Margaret (d. young), Gertrude (d. young), John Berwick, Benjamin Watson, Rosalie Ruth, and Cleo Barksdale Anderson. At the age of 80, E. P. Anderson died of “acute nephritis” and was buried in the Waxahachie City Cemetery.
- Ancestry.com. 1850-1940 United States Federal Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2009.
- Ancestry.com. U.S., Sons of the American Revolution Membership Applications, 1889-1970 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2011.
- Anderson tombstones, Waxahachie City Cemetery, Texas. Findagrave.com
- Cunningham, Debra E. Esker/Fricke Family Tree. [database online] http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/14275764/family?fpid=278513208
- Johnson, Frank W. A History of Texas and Texans. Chicago, IL, 1916, v.5, p.2487-2489.
- “Mississippi, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865,” index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XFLK-6ZX : accessed 03 Mar 2013), E Pickens Anderson, 1861
- “Texas, Deaths (New Index, New Images), 1890-1976,” index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/K3CT-QSS : accessed 03 Mar 2013), Ezekiel Pickens Anderson, 1923.