Rutherford Wysong was born in Shephardstown, Virginia (now West Virginia). His parents were John Wysong (1800-1885) and his wife, Helen M. Hebb (1819-1868). They are both buried in Elmwood Cemetery in Shephardstown, WV.
Rutherford attended the University of Virginia in session 29 (1852-1853) and began his practice as a physician in Baltimore, MD. Dr. Wysong enlisted as a Surgeon in the Army of the Confederacy and was commissioned in Company S, General and Staff Regiment. In the 1870 census, Dr. Wysong is listed as a medical doctor in Baltimore, MD.
On 27 Jan. 1870, Dr. Wysong married Mary Camfield (McLure) Bedon, (1839-1917) the widow of Joseph Bedon. They had one son, Rutherford Wysong, Jr. (Canfield; 1870 U.S. Census; Wheeler) [Note: The marriage date of 27 Jan. 1871 as given in Canfield must be incorrect, since as F. Terry Hambrecht points out in the comments, they were married by Sept. 1870 when the U.S. Census of Baltimore City census was taken.–JLC]
Like his parents, Dr. Rutherford Wysong, Sr. is buried in the Elmwood Cemetery in Shepardstown, WV. Mary Wysong is buried in Rock Creek Cemetery in the District of Columbia.
[Note: Dr. Wysong’s birth date is from the U.Va. Matriculation Books. — JLC]
- Ancestry.com. 1850-1920 United States Federal Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc.
- Canfield, Frederick A., compiler. A History of Thomas Canfield and of Matthew Camfield. Dover, NJ, 1897, p. 172.
- City Directories for Washington, D.C. 1888, p.939.
- “Died [Dr. Rutherford Wysong]” Baltimore Sun, 29 & 30 Apr. 1875.
- Historical Data Systems, comp. American Civil War Soldiers [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 1999.
- [Death Record, Rutherford Wysong, Cert. No. 02455.] Maryland State Archives. Maryland indexes (Death Record, BC, Index), 1875-1880. http://msa.maryland.gov/msa/stagser/s1400/s1483/html/ssi1483aw2.html
- National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution. Lineage book of the Charter members. Harrisburg, PA, 1908, v. 1, p. 304.
- Tombstones of the Wysong family, Jefferson County, WV, and Washington, D.C. Findagrave.com
- “United States Census, 1870,” index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MN33-SKZ : accessed 29 Aug 2014), Rutherford Nysong, Maryland, United States; citing p. 147, family 1014, NARA microfilm publication M593, FHL microfilm 000552075.
- University of Virginia Matriculation Books, 1825-1904, Accession #RG-14/4/2.041, Special Collections Dept., University of Virginia Library, Charlottesville, Va.
- Wheeler, William Ogden. Descendants of Rebecca Ogden and Caleb Halsted. Morristown, NJ, 1896, p. 26. http://www.ebooksread.com/authors-eng/william-ogden-wheeler/descendants-of-rebecca-ogden-and-caleb-halsted-eeh/1-descendants-of-rebecca-ogden-and-caleb-halsted-eeh.shtml