There is very little we know about Eldorado Pizarro Albritton. He was born in Mississippi, probably in DeSoto County where he appears in the 1850 U.S. census in the household of H. Albritton. In the 1860 census, when he was about 12 years old, he was living in DeSoto County with T. P. Manning, a minister and farmer. E. P. Albritton attended the University of Virginia in session 44 (1867-1868), and became a lawyer. In the 1870 census, 21-year-old “Elder” Albritton is listed as a farmer living alone in DeSoto County, with $4,000 worth of real estate.
Schele de Vere, in 1874, states Albritton was practicing as a lawyer in Galveston, Texas. He is listed as a notary public in Galveston County in 1876. His presence in Texas is corroborated by an article in the Weekly Democratic Statesman from Austin, 14 Feb. 1878:
“A young lawyer, named E. P. Albritton, of Galveston, is accused of stealing law books from his fellow-members of the bar and the public library. He sold them to whoever would buy. One gentleman at Columbus bought $150 worth from him. Albritton came from Mississippi with a good reputation and was a promising young lawyer. He is believed by some to have been partially insane.”
I have no information on what happened to Albritton, or when or where he died.
- Ancestry.com. 1850-1870 United States Federal Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc.
- “List of notaries public in Texas,” in Alexander, William, comp. The law of Texas now in force touching conveyancing and registration: including the statutes and Decisions of the Supreme Court of that state. Austin, TX, 1877, p. 143.
- Schele de Vere, Maximilian. Students of the University of Virginia; a semi-centennial catalogue, with brief biographical sketches. Baltimore, MD, 1878.
- “Texas–Facts and Fancies.” The weekly democratic statesman. (Austin, Tex.), 14 Feb. 1878, p.2. Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers. Lib. of Congress. <http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn83021327/1878-02-14/ed-1/seq-2/>
- “United States Census, 1850,” index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/M4LC-N9C : accessed 26 Jan 2013), E Albritton in household of H Albritton, De Soto county, De Soto, Mississippi, United States; citing dwelling 831, family 831, NARA microfilm publication M432, roll 371.