M. L. Anderson was the son of Thomas Cary Anderson (1805-1852) and his wife, Jemima Ann Meredith (1815-1850). The family lived at Seven Oaks Plantation in Louisa County, Virginia. M. L. Anderson attended the University of Virginia in session 31 (1854-1855), and became a teacher. On 23 Dec. 1858, he married Adelia Agnes Perkins (ca. 1836-1872), who was also a teacher, and they had one son, Thomas Marion Anderson. In the 1860 U. S. Census, M. L. Anderson and his family were living in Goochland County, Virginia, with his father-in-law, Thomas Perkins.
On 10 May 1861, M. L. Anderson enlisted at Goochland Court House in the Confederate army as a private in Company F (Harrison’s Company or the Goochland Light Dragoons), 4th Virginia Cavalry Regiment. He became ill on 2 Aug. 1861, and died on 4 Oct. 1861. (Service folder) Schele de Vere states that he died of a disease caught in camp. The Confederate army gave his widow the $37.60 pay owed to him for the four months he had not been paid, plus $38.40 for the use of his horse for 96 days and $4.00 for clothing, for a total of $80. Adelia remarried in 1868, to Richard C. Bowles. (“Virginia, Marriages, 1785-1940”) (Note: In the 1870 U.S. Census, his name is given as Robert C. Bowles.)
- Anderson, Matthew L. [Service folder]. in Compiled service records of Confederate soldiers who served in organizations from Virginia, record group 109, NARA M324 http://www.fold3.com/image/7550082/
- Clopton, Morris L. Descendants of William Clopton of Virgina. [database online] c2012. http://www.cloptonfamily.org/amerline/index.htm
- “Pedigree Resource File”, database, FamilySearch (http://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.2.1/SGKC-RBS : accessed 2013-09-08), entry for Matthew L. /ANDERSON/.
- Schele de Vere, Maximilian. Students of the University of Virginia; a semi-centennial catalogue. Baltimore, MD, 1878.
- University of Virginia Matriculation Books, 1825-1904, Accession #RG-14/4/2.041, Special Collections Dept., University of Virginia Library, Charlottesville, Va.
- “United States Census, 1860,” index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/M41N-RLZ : accessed 22 Nov 2013), Mathew L Anderson, , Goochland, Virginia; citing “1860 U.S. Federal Census – Population,” Fold3.com; p. 24, family 184, NARA microfilm publication M653; FHL microfilm 805347.
- “United States Census, 1870,” index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MFGQ-SLJ : accessed 22 Nov 2013), Adelia A Bowles in household of Robert C Bowles, Virginia, United States; citing p. , family 1373, NARA microfilm publication M593, FHL microfilm 000553150.
- “Virginia, Births and Christenings, 1853-1917,” index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/X5V6-2HD : accessed 02 Sep 2013), Mathew L. Anderson in entry for Thos. Marion Anderson, 27 Oct 1859.
- “Virginia, Marriages, 1785-1940,” index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XRST-BMN : accessed 02 Sep 2013), Matthew L. Anderson and Adelia A. Perkins, 23 Dec 1858.
- “Virginia, Marriages, 1785-1940,” index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/X5BX-Q6W : accessed 22 Nov 2013), Richd. C. Bowles and Adelia A. Anderson, 02 Aug 1868.