Thomas D. Armistead was the son of James Anderson Armistead (1768-1827) and his wife, Nancy (“Nannie”) Miller (1771-1870). (Myers Family Tree) He attended the University of Virginia in session 13 (1836-1837), then attended and graduated from the Medical Department of the University of Pennsylvania in 1838, with a final essay on “Icterus.” (Catalogue, University of Pennsylvania)
Dr. Armistead married Martha T. Wilson (b. ca. 1815) on 26 Sep. 1843, in Cumberland County, Virginia. They had five children, one of whom died young: Arvina (d. young), Elizabeth, James A., Nancy Miller, and Fannie Armistead. He probably set up his medical practice in Farmville, Va., where his family was living at the time of the 1860 U.S. Census a year after his death. Dr. Armistead died in 1859, of paralysis. (1860 Mortality Schedule to the U.S. Census)
[Note: Dr. Armistead’s birth date is from the U.Va. Matriculation Books, and his death date from the Virginia death record. The researcher should also note that Dr. Armistead’s death record lists a “Jos.” and “Mary A.” Armistead as his father and mother, while other resources indicate James A. and Nannie Armistead.—JLC]
- Ancestry.com. U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules, 1850-1885 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2010.
- donnaandwally_1, Myers Family Tree [database online] <http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/17874454/person/18842798637>
- Garber, Virginia Armistead. The Armistead family, 1635-1910. Richmond, VA, 1910, p.97-98.
- “United States Census, 1850,” index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/M88B-4HZ : accessed 19 Apr 2014), Thos D Armistead, Cumberland county, Cumberland, Virginia, United States; citing family 635, NARA microfilm publication M432.
- University of Pennsylvania. School of Medicine. Society of the Alumni. Catalogue of the alumni of the Medical Department of the University of Pennsylvania, 1765-1877. Philadelphia, PA, 1877, p. 5
- University of Virginia Matriculation Books, 1825-1904, Accession #RG-14/4/2.041, Special Collections Dept., University of Virginia Library, Charlottesville, Va.
- “Virginia, Births and Christenings, 1853-1917,” index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/VRPJ-SRN : accessed 19 Apr 2014), Thos. D. Armistead in entry for Arvina Armistead, 20 May 1854; citing Cumberland Co , Virginia, reference ; FHL microfilm 30774.
- “Virginia, Deaths and Burials, 1853-1912,” index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/X5RY-G68 : accessed 19 Apr 2014), Thomas D. Armistead, 28 Jul 1859; citing Cumberland, reference P 32; FHL microfilm 30774.
- “Virginia, Deaths and Burials, 1853-1912,” index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/X5RY-FMQ : accessed 19 Apr 2014), Thos. D. Armistead in entry for Amanna Armistead, 11 Aug 1855; citing Cumb’D County, reference P 13 L 24; FHL microfilm 30774.