George G. Armistead was the son of Robert Armistead of “The Cottage” in Loudoun County, VA, and his second wife, Fanny (Hislop) Dalrymple (b. 1763). George attended the University of Virginia in session 4 (1827-1828).
On 7 Nov. 1831, George G. Armistead married Alice Virginia Fontaine; the couple moved to Florence, Lauderdale County, Alabama, where he was a planter and owned a large estate. Their children were Dr. Hislop Armistead (who served as a captain in the 4th Alabama Infantry, CSA, and died at the battle of Malvern Hill), Lewis Carter Armistead, Mary Frances Armistead, and Alice Fontaine Armistead (d. young). Armistead’s second wife was Jane H. Forsyth (b. ca. 1831-d. bef. 1860); this couple had A. D. Hunt Armistead, George Graham Armistead Jr., Ellen Forsyth Armistead, Elizabeth “Lizzie” Baker Armistead, Arabella Dobbin Armistead, and Jane Armistead. (Garber, 239) George Sr. remarried a third time on 29 Nov. 1862. (Irvine, Adm’r, v. Armistead)
George G. Armistead died in Florence, AL. (Hill et al. v. Armistead et al.)
[Note: Birth date of G. G. Armistead from U.Va. Matriculation Books.—JLC] References:
- “Alabama, State Census, 1866,” index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/V6PR-LB3 : accessed 06 Mar 2013), G G Armistead, 1866.
- Ancestry.com. 1850-1860 United States Federal Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc.
- Appleton, William S. The family of Armistead of Virginia. Boston, 1899. OpenLibrary.org [database online] http://www.archive.org/details/familyofarmistea00appl
- Garber, Virginia Armistead. The Armistead family, 1635-1910. Richmond, VA, 1910. Accessed via books.google.com.
- “Hill et al. v. Armistead et al.” in Alabama Supreme Court. Report of Cases Argued and Determined in the Supreme Court of Alabama during December term, 1876. Montgomery, AL, 1879, v. 56, p. 118-120.
- “Irvine, Adm’r, v. Armistead.” in Alabama Supreme Court. Reports of Cases Argued and Determined in the Supreme Court of Alabama in the June Term, 1871. Montgomery, AL, 1872, v. 46, p. 363-375.
- [Obituary] Florence Journal, 18 Oct. 1866, in http://www.werelate.org/wiki/Person:George_Armistead_%281%29
- University of Virginia Matriculation Books, 1825-1904, Accession #RG-14/4/2.041, Special Collections Dept., University of Virginia Library, Charlottesville, Va.