Richard S. Allen was the son of Joseph Allen of Richmond, Va., a lawyer and clerk of the Chancery Court, and his wife, Mary Ann Stetson. Joseph Allen bought Tuckahoe Plantation in Goochland County, VA, in 1848. It was inherited by Richard in 1868. In 1898, he sold the plantation to the Coolidge family (descended from Thomas Mann Randolph, Jr. and his wife, Martha, the daughter of Thomas Jefferson). (Warfield) Richard attended the University of Virginia in sessions 23-24 (1846-1848). He then took up the profession of “farmer” and managed Tuckahoe until 1898.
Some researchers have said that Richard served in Company H of the 25th Virginia Infantry Battalion (called the Richmond Battalion or the City Battalion), CSA. I was unable to find confirmation of this statement. Richard himself wrote that he’d served in the military in his amnesty petition after the Civil War: “…in the first year of the late insurrection in the Southern States against the authority of the Union, he [Richard S. Allen] participated in that insurrection by serving for a short time as a private soldier in the insurgent army. That he has never, at any other time or in any other way, been in the service of the insurgent government, either of the confederated Southern States, or of the state of Virginia.” He was given his pardon. (Amnesty Papers)
On 22 Jan. 1863, Richard S. Allen married Virginia Mitchell (1837-1918); their children were, Mary Mitchell Allen (d. young) and Richard Stetson Allen, Jr. (d. 1948). Richard and Virginia Allen, and their children are buried at Hollywood Cemetery in Richmond, VA.
[Note: Birth date from U.Va. Matriculation Books; death date from tombstone.—JLC]
- Allen family tombstones, Hollywood Cemetery, Richmond, Va. Findagrave.com
- Stetson, Nelson M. compiler. Stetson kindred of America (incorporated). Rockland, MA, 1913, p. 106-113. https://archive.org/details/stetsonkindredof05stet
- United States. Case Files of Applications from Former Confederates for Presidential Pardons (“Amnesty Papers”), 1865-67. Record group 94. NARA M1003, roll 56. Petitioner: Richard S. Allen, 19 July 1865.
- University of Virginia Matriculation Books, 1825-1904, Accession #RG-14/4/2.041, Special Collections Dept., University of Virginia Library, Charlottesville, Va.
- “Virginia, Marriages, 1785-1940,” index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XRJV-L36 : accessed 09 May 2014), Richd. L. Allen and Virginia E. Mitchell, 22 Jan 1863; citing Richmond, Virginia, USA, reference p.60; FHL microfilm 33620.
- Warfield, Hannah Verdi. Prospect and Preservation: Tuckahoe Plantation’s Landscape
- An Historical Study of the Gardens and Greater Landscape. 2013. http://www.scribd.com/doc/136825592/Tuckahoe-Plantation-s-Landscape