George M. Arnold was the son of George Anson Arnold of Troy, NY, and his wife, Mary Antoinette Filkins. The couple moved to Mobile, AL where G. A. Arnold ran a wholesale business. Their son was born on a visit back to Troy, NY. (Dunlap)
He attended the University of Virginia in sessions 46-47 (1869-1871). He was one of the five students who founded Kappa Sigma Fraternity in America at the University of Virginia on Dec. 10, 1869, in 46 East Lawn at the University of Virginia. (Kappa Sigma Fraternity website; Dunlap)
In his last session at U.Va., Arnold began the study of medicine. About the same time, Arnold suddenly withdrew from UVA in Feb. 1871, because of an incident in which a drunken Arnold shot and wounded a black resident of Charlottesville. (The man survived.) In fear of retaliation by a mob, Arnold left Charlottesville that night, aided by his fraternity brothers. A few weeks later he entered the Medical College of New York from which he received his M.D. in 1873. (Dunlap) He studied at Bellevue Hospital during the year 1872-73, and was resident physician at the Convalescent Hospital on Hart’s Island, NY.
Arnold married on 8 Sep. 1874 to Minnie Jane Law (b. May 1856) of New York. They lived in Manhattan. The couple had eight children; however, five (including Mary L., George M. Jr., and Susan L.) died of diptheria as children. Their surviving children: Lilian R., Mary “Miriam” Emma, and Robert Anson Miles Arnold. The Arnolds were Episcopalians, and Dr. Arnold was a Master Mason.
Dr. Arnold died of pneumonia. He was buried in Woodlawn Cemetery, in the Bronx, NY. (Dunlap) Mrs. Arnold appears in the U. S. Census at least through 1910, but I couldn’t locate the date of her death.
- Dunlap, Boutwell. The Kappa Sigma book. Nashville, TN, 1907, p. 22-27, 34-37.
- Kappa Sigma Fraternity. c2014. [website] http://kappasigma.org/
- “New York, Births and Christenings, 1640-1962,” index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FDTV-YYG : accessed 18 Sep 2014), George Miles Arnold in entry for Mary Emma Arnold, 01 Oct 1882; citing BIRTH CERTIFICATES, MANHATTAN, NEW YORK, NEW YORK, reference ; FHL microfilm 1322175.
- “New York, Births and Christenings, 1640-1962,” index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FDPQ-Z5T : accessed 18 Sep 2014), Robert Anson Miles Arnold, 16 Jan 1889; citing Manhattan, New York, New York, USA, reference ; FHL microfilm 1323486.
- “New York, Marriages, 1686-1980,” index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/F64Y-HP2 : accessed 18 Sep 2014), George M. Arnold and Minnie J. Law, 08 Sep 1874; citing reference ; FHL microfilm 1562049.
- “United States Census, 1880,” index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MZX3-Q3Y : accessed 18 Sep 2014), Minnie J Arnold in household of George M Arnold, New York, New York, New York, United States; citing sheet 544C, NARA microfilm publication T9.
- “United States Census, 1900,” index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MSKR-KS2 : accessed 18 Sep 2014), Robert Arnold in household of Minnie J Arnold, Borough of Manhattan, Election District 19 New York City Ward 31, New York County, New York, United States; citing sheet 9A, family 146, NARA microfilm publication T623, FHL microfilm 1241119.
- “United States Census, 1910,” index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/M53V-MZL : accessed 18 Sep 2014), Robert M Arnold in household of Minnie Arnold, Manhattan Ward 12, New York, New York, United States; citing enumeration district (ED) 495, sheet 7A, family 103, NARA microfilm publication T624, FHL microfilm 1375033.
- University of Virginia Matriculation Books, 1825-1904, Accession #RG-14/4/2.041, Special Collections Dept., University of Virginia Library, Charlottesville, Va.