Benjamin M. Cromwell was born in New Orleans, Louisiana, the son of Warham Cromwell, of Columbus, Georgia and his wife, Josephine. He grew up in Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina.
He attended the University of Virginia in session 30 (1853-1854). Afterward, he entered the University of Medicine of New York, and graduated with honor in 1857. (General alumni catalogue, 1907; Catalogue of the Medical Department… 1890) He moved to Albany, Georgia and practiced medicine there until the beginning of the Civil War. He initially served as a private in the Albany Guards, 4th Georgia Regiment, until he was promoted to assistant surgeon in October 1861. He served in the 1st, 3rd, and 5th North Carolina Infantry. In May 1862, he was promoted to full surgeon at the rank of major, and served with the 3d Louisiana Battalion. He was present at the surrender at Appomattox. (Ledger stone installed by the “Cumberland Historical Cemetery Organization” on 2 Nov. 1996, at the grave.)
On 15 Jan. 1866, he married Louisa Carter Burwell (1836-1883) of “The Grove” in Winchester, VA. They had 6 children: Laura Lee, Josephine, Agnes Louise, Susan Lee, Lewis Warham, and Louise Carter Cromwell. (History of Dougherty County. p. 131-132) Dr. Cromwell and his family lived in Albany, GA, until 1882, when he became the resident physician of the Consolidated Coal Company, at Eckhart Mines, MD. He practiced medicine until the age of 81. (Confederate Veteran, Aug. 1917, p. 374)
Dr. Cromwell is buried in Frostburg Memorial Park, Frostburg, Maryland. His wife, Louisa, is buried in Mount Hebron Cemetery, in Winchester, Virginia.
- Alumni Association of University of the City of New York. Medical Department.Catalogue of the graduates and officers of the Medical Department of the University of the City of New York. 3rd ed. New York, 1890, p.99.
- Cromwell tombstones, Frostburg Memorial Park, Frostburg, MD, and Mount Hebron Cemetery, Winchester, VA. Findagrave.com.
- “Dr. B. M. Cromwell,” in “The Last Roll,”Confederate Veteran, v.25, no.8 (Aug. 1917), p. 374.
- “Dr. Benjamin M. Cromwell,” in Daughters of the American Revolution (Thronateeska Chapter),History and Reminiscences of Dougherty County, Georgia. Albany, 1924, p. 131-132. http://www.usgennet.org/usa/ga/county/dougherty/dougherty_history.htm
- New York University.General alumni catalogue of New York University, 1833-1907. Medical alumni. New York, 1907, p.55.)
- “United States Census, 1850,” index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MZYY-TMG : accessed 5 April 2015), Benjamin M Cromwell in household of Warham Cromwell, Columbus, Muscogee, Georgia, United States; citing family 569, NARA microfilm publication M432 (Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.).
- “United States Census, 1880,” index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M8L5-MC6 : accessed 5 April 2015), B M Cromwell, Albany, Dougherty, Georgia, United States; citing enumeration district 24, sheet 56A, NARA microfilm publication T9 (Washington D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.), roll 0144; FHL microfilm 1,254,144.
- “United States Census, 1910,” index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M2XN-TFN : accessed 5 April 2015), Benjamin M Cromwell, Election District 24, Allegany, Maryland, United States; citing enumeration district (ED) 26, sheet 1A, family 3, NARA microfilm publication T624 (Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.); FHL microfilm 1,374,562.
- “United States Civil War Soldiers Index, 1861-1865,” index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FSTH-43D : accessed 5 April 2015), B. M. Cromwell, Assistant Surgeon, Company F&S, 15th Regiment, Louisiana Infantry, Confederate; citing NARA microfilm publication M378 (Washington D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.), roll 7; FHL microfilm 881,463.
- University of Virginia Matriculation Books, 1825-1904, Accession #RG-14/4/2.041, Special Collections Dept., University of Virginia Library, Charlottesville, Va.
- “Virginia, Marriages, 1785-1940,” index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X51K-9FY : accessed 5 April 2015), Bery M. Cromwell and L. C. Burwell, 15 Jan 1866; citing Winchester, Frederick, Virginia, reference P. 20 Line 1; FHL microfilm 2,048,496.