Joseph R. Anderson, Jr., was the son of General Joseph Reid Anderson, Sr., (1813-1892), the owner of Tredegar Iron Works in Richmond, Virginia, and his wife, Sarah Eliza Archer (1819-1881). (Among their several children were Archer Anderson, who also went to U.Va., and Ellen Graham Anderson, who married her cousin William Alexander Anderson.)
Anderson Junior attended Virginia Military Institute in 1870-1871 (VMI Photo), then attended the University of Virginia in session 48 (1871-1872).
On 8 Oct. 1873, Anderson Junior married Anne Watson Barbour Morris (1851-1895) (Richmond Whig, 9 Oct. 1873). Their children were Morris (spelled “Maurice” on the birth record), Julian W., Joseph Reid Jr., and Calvert Allan Anderson. (U.S. Census, 1880-1930) There are indications that they had two additional sons, George Watson Anderson and William Anderson, who died young, but these two names do not appear in the U.S. Census.
Anderson, Jr., succeeded his father in running the Tredegar Iron Works. Later in his life he served as the “historiographer” for the Virginia Military Institute, and wrote a book entitled, Record of Service in the World War of V. M. I. Alumni and their alma mater. (University of Virginia, Directory of living alumni, 1921)
Joseph Reid Anderson, Jr. died in early 1930 and was buried in Hollywood Cemetery in Richmond, VA on 31 Jan. 1930. (Hollywood Cemetery)
- 1850-1940 U.S. Census. FamilySearch.org
- Anderson, Joseph R. Jr., Record of Service in the World War of V. M. I. Alumni and their alma mater. Lexington, VA, 1920.
- Anderson, Patrick. Colonial Virginia Anderson Families. [database online] 2009. http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=patander73&id=I04646
- Anderson tombstones, Hollywood Cemetery, Richmond, VA. Findagrave.com.
- Descendants of Robert Anderson [database online] http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~anderson/va/trees/bote.html
- Goodwin-Keithley Generalogy [database online] c2001-2005 http://www.goodwin-keithley.net/getperson.php?personID=I1142&tree=RAGandCKG
- Hollywood Cemetery data. http://www.hollywoodcemetery.org/
- “Joseph R. Anderson, Jr. Cadet Album, 1868-1872.” Miley, Michael, Lexington, VA (photographer). VMI Archives Photographs Collection. http://digitalcollections.vmi.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/p15821coll7/id/3022/rec/3
- “Married [Joseph R. Anderson, Jr. and Annie W. B. Morris].” Richmond Whig, 9 Oct. 1873, p. 3.
- “Telegraphic Brevities [Death notice of Mrs. J. R. Anderson, Jr.]” Alexandria Gazette (Alexandria, VA), 12 Jan. 1895, p.2.
- University of Virginia Alumni Association. Directory of living alumni of the University of Virginia. Centennial Edition. Charlottesville, VA, 1921, p. 17.
- “Virginia, Historical Society Papers, 1607-2007,” database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KZ7L-5CP : 5 December 2014), Joseph R Anderson, 22 Feb 1851; Birth, citing Virginia, United States, Virginia Historical Society, Richmond.
- “Virginia Marriages, 1785-1940,” database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XR8M-YZW : 5 December 2014), Jos. R. Anderson and Ann W. B. Morris, 08 Oct 1873; citing Louisa Co., Virginia, reference p 11 line 37; FHL microfilm 32,217.
- “Virginia Births and Christenings, 1584-1917,” database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X5KR-5QF : 5 December 2014), Jos. R. Anderson Jr. in entry for Maurice Anderson, 16 Apr 1874; citing Richmond, Virginia, reference p 307; FHL microfilm 2,048,445.
- “Virginia Births and Christenings, 1584-1917,” database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X5K5-DPP : 5 December 2014), J. Anderson, 28 Aug 1875; citing Richmond, Virginia, reference p 402; FHL microfilm 2,048,445.
- “Virginia Births and Christenings, 1584-1917,” database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X5JT-BS4 : 5 December 2014), Joseph Reid Anderson, 21 Apr 1879; citing Richmond, Henrico, Virginia, reference ; FHL microfilm 2,046,941.